Hi everyone,

I have a product table which has a product_id field as the primary
key. I'd like to have the value of this field be generated from two
sequences with different number range depending on the content of the
product_type field. E.g., when product_type == 1, product_id will be
generated between 1000 and 8999, and when product_type == 2,
product_id will be generated between 9000 and 9999.

In the database, I can simply define a before insert trigger, and get
the next value from the 2 sequences depending on the value of
product_type, since the trigger function has access to the whole
record to be inserted.

In SQLAlchemy however, I can find a way to define such a table.
Because product_id is the primary key column, I can't use a database
trigger with PassiveDefault since it will be pre-executed anyway. It
seems that I shall use a pre-executed default function to fetch the
appropriate sequence value, but I couldn't find a way to access the
product_type field from within the default function.

How do I access other table columns from the default function? If it
is not possible, is there a work around for my situation?

Best Regards
Hong Yuan