as it turns out, assign_mapper's monkeypatched methods (and they are
all monkeypatched, not sure why you singled out query()) dont conflict
with mapped properties since those properties get set up subsequent to
the assign_mapper call and replace them.  however adding new methods
to assign_mapper every release does increase the chances of a regular
instance variable getting whacked and breaking an application.

so i didnt add filter() because i didnt feel like getting all the bug
reports from people who have instance variables called "filter", and
also because my plan was to do away with *all* the select/filter/etc
methods and have everything go through query().  because its hard for
me to see how query's interface can develop if we have to worry about
every new method name conflicting with the full set of instance
variable names for all user-defined classes everywhere.

but if we dont think its a problem im certainly not going to hold back
assign_mapper from what people want it to be, im just putting out the
issues there and you all can decide.