Both
    session.query(User).select()
and
    User.query().select()
seem more verbose than they need to be for my taste. However, I think most
people (myself included) define a base class for all their mapped classes.
I've always used this base class to provide the interface I want, no matter
what interface sqlalchemy provides (and SA's API has changed quite a bit
since 0.1). I suppose if anyone is going to pollute the namespace of the
User class, it should be me, not sqlalchemy.
That said, if I was new to sqlalchemy, I think I'd be scared to see
session.query(User).select() as the "recommended way" in the tutorial.

So, +1/2 from me on ditching assign_mapper (while keeping SessionContext, of
course).

shoe

--
--- I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. ---