On Jun 1, 2007, at 2:23 PM, Mike Orr wrote:

> Why can't SQLAlchemy catch this and the gone-away error, refresh the
> connection, and redo the query like SQLObject does?  That's really
> what one wants, not a pool_recycle time.  I think you said that's
> incompatible with transactions but I don't see how.

it does, except for the "redo the query" part, which would be
nightmarish particularly if the previous connection was in a
transaction.  the entire connection pool is disposed when a dropped
connection is detected since it corresponds to the whole DB being
shut down.

its also a spotty feature since DBAPIs tend to not be very consistent
about telling you the connection has gone away.   but in your case,
the feature seems to not be working on mysql, where i thought it was
generally OK.

pool_recycle is a more standard way to deal with an expected
connection timeout, its totally simple and bypasses the need to ever
have to catch any kind of connection closed errors, so I dont think
your current errors are due to connections being closed, unless
something else is going on.