On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:10 AM, Gaetan de Menten wrote:

>> - ClauseElement support would be removed from filter_by().  you can
>> just use filter() for those.  the older _by() methods, which i want
>> to deprecate, would be left alone for backwards compatibility.
>
> What do you replace order_by with?

oh, no we leave order_by() (and group_by()), by _by() i meant the
selecting functions like select_by(), selectfirst_by(), etc.

>> - i want to deprecate all the criterion methods that are not filter,
>> i.e. all the selects and most of the gets (except straight get()).
>> selecting from a full statement we can do with query.from_statement
>> (<select statement>), the argument of which is a select() or a
>> string.
>>
>> deprecating select() and select_by() is to create a single simple
>> interface to query based on the more flexible filter().  but it does
>> mean a bit more typing in many cases.  I would hope everyone is OK
>> with that.
>
> I'd personally like this but that's probably because I don't use those
> much. But I think many people are using those so that might be an
> unpopular move. As such, it would probably deserve a thread on its
> own, so that people would actually have a chance to react...

OK then...though I dont see how we can really keep them.  the docs /
explanation of query would become so much simpler with only one
obvious way to specify filtering criterion / adjustments etc.