On 6/4/07, Paul Kippes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I found the thread about PYTHONPATH--interesting.
>
> It does seem that eggs are not only preventing the expected behavior,
> but they are also preventing the documented behavior.
>
> However, I don't think that using eggs is the best choice for a fast
> progressing library like SQLAlchemy--especially with this behavior.
> Plus, if the egg developer isn't participating in a discussion on
> this, why should that distribution method even be used?

Are you talking about this thread?

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2007-May/007513.html

I'm not sure that this is especially relevant to SQLAlchemy per se.
Python has a language-wide problem in that:

1) Setuptools has become a de-facto standard but is not bundled with
Python, forcing users to find and and install ez_setup.py.  Users also
have to do tricks with their site.py to get a local egg directory
separate from site-packages, or use workingenv.py or Virtual Python.
People who aren't Python programmers but just want to run an
application (e.g., sysadmins) don't understand why they should have to
do this -- it seems like a grave defect in the language and it turns
them off from Python.

2) The distutils code is apparently very patched up and in need of a
rewrite before setuptools is integrated, but there are no programmer
volunteers to do it.

3) A few people don't like the setuptools approach and do not want it
in the standard library.

4) Setuptools does not have an "uninstall" option or clean up old bin/
scripts.  You can have two versions of an egg installed simultaneously
but only one set of bin/ scripts, the latest-installed ones
overwriting the previous.  Over time you end up with a version mess
and have to start again with a fresh library directory to clean it up,
plus cleaning out the bin/ directory by hand.

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>