On Jun 4, 2007, at 3:35 PM, Mike Orr wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Paul Kippes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> I found the thread about PYTHONPATH--interesting.
>>
>> It does seem that eggs are not only preventing the expected behavior,
>> but they are also preventing the documented behavior.
>>
>> However, I don't think that using eggs is the best choice for a fast
>> progressing library like SQLAlchemy--especially with this behavior.
>> Plus, if the egg developer isn't participating in a discussion on
>> this, why should that distribution method even be used?
>
> Are you talking about this thread?
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2007-May/007513.html

FTR, my official "this should be changed" email is at:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2006-July/006492.html

which was left unanswered by Eby.  just had one response from someone
who agrees with me.  it all relies on this question:

I cant think of a
possible scenario where a path would explicitly exist in PYTHONPATH,
non-egg or egg, where the user would still like the system-wide
installation to take precedence, regardless of versioning or anything
else.  Otherwise why put the path on PYTHONPATH ?

its also very easy to implement, as on my system where I just shoved
an extra .pth file to make it happen.

if it is in fact the case that setuptools thinks PYTHONPATH means
something totally different for its purposes, which i think is Eby's
take on this, it shouldnt be using PYTHONPATH for that purpose - it
should use some other variable.