On 6/13/07, Roger Demetrescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On 6/13/07, Michael Bayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > On Jun 13, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Roger Demetrescu wrote:
> > > But the use of this function is to ugly to my taste (I know, the
> > > "give_me_pk_values_in_correct_order" is too big here):
> > >
> > > customer = session.query(Customer).get
> > > (Customer.give_me_pk_values_in_correct_order(dict(columnX=3,
> > > columnY=4, columnZ=343))
> > >
> > > Having to repeat Customer reference twic annoys me...  :)
> > >

> > its python !  its,  "there should be only one way to do it", "we're
> > taking away map() and reduce() because you already have list
> > comprehensions".    theres all kinds of things you might want to pass
> > to get(), how would I know how you want to translate it ?

Well, from my understanding, the spirit of get is to "fetch something
that you already know the primary key for", so supporting them in the
form of a dictionary seem pretty natural to me.

> Indeed different people will have different opinions how things should
> work....
> In my case, passing a dict() in query.get() was so intuitive to me,
> that I got a little
> frustrated when noticed it didn't work ...

Same here.

> If query.get() is smart to
> deal with a sequence (eg: list or tuple), why it shouldn't be with a
> mapping ?   :)
>
> Anyway, a couple of custom utilities functions will definitely do the job
> here..

Indeed. No worries, I'll survive this... It's not something I come
across that often anyway. It just felt natural to be able to do it.
--
Gaƫtan de Menten
http://openhex.org