Thanks.  I'll be getting back to this tomorrow too.  Meanwhile: please
note -- easily overlooked, item.current has uselist=False in its
relation to Gearset because an item can only *currently* be involved
in, at most, one set of items / one "in progress" reservation.
However, item.history and item.future both have uselist=True in their
relations to Gearset, because items can have loads of future
reservations and loads of events they participated in in the past.
While it's not clear that this little scalar-vs-collection difference
would cause problems when sqla is processing dependencies upon delete,
conceivably it could?

Also in the meantime, instinctively would you say keeping all the past/
present/future in one table would just be a better way to go?  It only
occurred to me very recently that I could do that, and map item.future
to a select that collects only related gearsets connected to events
with future dates, and map item.history to a different select on the
same association table, etc.