Hi,

>do you mean, the URI would have args that are used by the DBAPI *or*
>the dialect ?  right now, all query strings in the URI go to the
>DBAPI's connect() method.   mixing them up I fear opens the door for
>name conflicts.  what if some DBAPI were suddenly supported that had a
>connect() argument called "echo" ?

Ah, is the current idea that URI parameters are passed to the DBAPI, and
dialects should use create_engine args?

If that's the intention, I understand your concerns about nameclashes.
Actually, if that is the case, MSSQL is doing things slightly wrong and
using URI params where we shouldn't be. This would raise an issue for me
though - how do you control create_engine parameters for the unit tests?

Paul