I like Paul's original idea, and although it may not work directly as
proposed, I'd like to see some kind of sanctioned way of getting engine and
dialect config data from a string-based external source, as the dburi
options provide for the DBAPI. It would be useful for the same reasons that
DBAPI options are useful in the dburi -- it allows a user to pull
configuration out of the code and into string based configuration data.

Although there may be name collision issues with using the dburi as a
container for these options, it really is a very attractive place to put it.
The various Python frameworks that are now being fitted to use SA are
already processing their various config mechanisms, pulling out the dburi
and passing it around.

How about a simple scheme in which options meant for engine or dialect are
prefixed with a tag that would differentiate them from other options that
would be passed through to the DBAPI? Something like "sa-echo" or similar.
Any other ideas?