On Jul 11, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Paul Johnston wrote:

> To explain why I'm interested, I'm having some data freshness problems
> with a TG/SA app. I believe SessionContext has some inherent
> thread-safety issues, primarily that old data will build up in each
> thread's identity map, unless you periodically start a new session
> (e.g.
> at the start of a request). Is this something that SAContext tries to
> address?

I know youre talking to the "other" Mike here, but i dont see how
SAContext can address this issue transparently.  the simple fact is
that the web framework needs to either explicitly clear or explicitly
create a new session at the start of each request, this applies to
with or without SAContext.  SAContext cant guess where the boundaries
of your request are.

> Another thing SAContext could potentially do is handle database
> disconnection errors (i.e. reconnecting and retrying a block of code).
> This is something people often notice with MySQL. Automatic
> recovery is
> probably not appropriate for the SQLAlchemy layer, but perhaps
> SAContext
> is a layer where this can be done.

SAContext is strictly a configurational object, it doesnt add any new
process flows to anything.  to have database disconnect errors
"retry" is still something that would have to be deep within
SQLAlchemy, and as always i dont see how its appropriate or possible,
considering that if theres a transaction in progress, the "reconnect"
activity would have to totally start the transaction all over again
and somehow know every SQL statement which was issued within the
transaction.  If your database disconnects, you have to start over
again.  Also people should *not* be having 8-hour-idle-disconnect
problems with MySQL because they should be setting "pool_recycle"
appropriately.