I've run into this problem as well when working with MySQL 4.0.20c.  I
believe the code needs to read:

decode_from = connection.execute("show variables like
'character_set'").fetchone()[0]

When issuing that sql at the command prompt, i get back the following:

mysql> show variables like "character_set";
| Variable_name | Value  |
| character_set | latin1 |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)