Hi list -

I am pleased to announce that due to the diligent efforts of Ants
Aasma, SQLAlchemy 0.4 will feature native two-phased commit support,
explicit SAVEPOINT support, and nested transaction support for both
MySQL and Postgres, with probable support for Oracle as well.  This is
represented as an extension to sqlalchemy.engine.Transaction, for
which a subclass now features a prepare() method, in conjunction with
a new begin_twophase() method on Connection, as well as a
begin_nested() method in order to issue nested transactions.  It also
features new clause structures which represent SAVEPOINT instructions
explicitly.  These structures interact with the individual Dialect to
produce the appropriate structures for Postgres and MySQL, which
issues XA transactions on the latter (Oracle also supports XA
transactions as well so its integration should be straightforward).

This transaction capability can be integrated with ORM level
transactions explicitly at the moment, however we will be adding
"automatic" support for two-phase semantics to take place within multi-
database sessions, based on a configurational flag to
create_session(), which is also getting a few more tricks in 0.4.

In recent months the SQLAlchemy community has really come together
posting more tickets, patches, bug reports than ever before, and we
have the most committers ever.  The 0.4 branch now features 760 unit
tests.  I am thrilled to see SQLAlchemy's "organic" approach to
development, characterized by broad-based, foundationally-focused
development (and intentionally slow-moving version numbers), really
begin to pay off as we start growing into higher level
functionalities.

- mike