Michael Bayer wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2007, at 4:58 PM, Jonathan LaCour wrote:
>
>> Michael Bayer wrote:
>>
>>> its a model taken from the way event loops usually work; any consumer
>>> along the event chain is allowed to say, "ive consumed the event" and
>>> stop further handlers from dealing with it. we can certainly change
>>> the names around into something less ridiculous. unfortuantely,
>>> changing it so that "no" return value, or None, does *not* short
>>> circuit the chain runs a slight risk that someone is actually using
>>> it that way.  So we might need to change it such that if your
>>> before_insert returns None, an error is raised, and youre forced to
>>> return a specific value indicating the next activity...otherwise
>>> someone's upgrade might silently fail.
 >>
>> Fair enough, I suppose.  I think I can get over it, for the most part.
>> It might just be an issue of cognitive dissonance because of the
>> naming
>> convention or how its described in the documentation.
>

> i think a name change is probably in order at the very least.

r3130 in the trunk implements a name change- EXT_CONTINUE will propagate
the hook to the next extension or back to the base implementation.
EXT_STOP will halt propagation.

it's only a name and doc change:
EXT_CONTINUE = EXT_PASS = object()
EXT_STOP = object()

EXT_STOP is just a feel-good value.  the general rule of "halt on any
return value but EXT_CONTINUE" is unchanged.