Yeah of course date formats vary, it's one of the trickier issues in type
adaption, can be computationally expensive, etc. A full-on date
parser is probably just way out of scope for SA (the excellent
dateutil package already
handles it pretty well).  I'm of the opinion that it would not be so
horrible to restrict string-to-date conversions to the ISO format,
else fail.