just to make sure I'm understanding this:
 even though mysql is configured to cascade deletes for this
relationship, SA needs to be told about it so that it doesn't prevent
it from cascading by first nulling the foreign key?

I tried this:
class Account(ActiveMapper):
    class mapping:
        __table__ = "account"
        id              = column(Integer, primary_key=True)
        account_name    = column(Unicode(50), unique=True)
        number          = column(Unicode(50), unique=True)
        users           = one_to_many('User', passive_deletes=True,
cascade='delete')

but got this:
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument
'passive_deletes'

I think the problem is the TG layer is getting in the way.  I may need
to use SA directly here to do this.