On Aug 16, 11:48 am, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> just to make sure I'm understanding this:
>  even though mysql is configured to cascade deletes for this
> relationship, SA needs to be told about it so that it doesn't prevent
> it from cascading by first nulling the foreign key?

yes more or less...whatever is currently loaded in the session, its
still going to process explicitly regardless of CASCADE rules in your
database.  so the cascade="all, delete" makes sure those two sides are
in agreement with what needs to be done.

> I think the problem is the TG layer is getting in the way.  I may need
> to use SA directly here to do this.

yes ActiveMapper probably does not support that argument.  Elixir is a
better way to go if you want the declarative pattern.