On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 10:40 +0200, Marco Mariani wrote:
> Your post begs for a question, which is "why?"  :-)
>
> You are fighthing the system. Having an autonumber column as part of
> compound key does not make a lot of sense.
> I don't think you have a really, really, really strange use case that
> justifies it.

I've been doing this kind of compound primary key when needing to
combine satellite databases into a central database.  So the first
column is the database id (actually MySQL server_id), and the second
column is the autonumber column.  When combined with MySQL replication,
you have a fairly straight-forward way to have parallel independent
remote databases (think retail stores) and a central database.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp