I think it might be more historical than anything else. Back when what is
now filter() was a single argument to the select() call, on the SQL-API
side, and there couldn't take any additional arguments, as the select() call
was already pretty heavy with keyword arguments and it was easy to get
things mixed up. That and the historical SelectResults() extension on which
this whole API is modeled, only took a single expression in its filter()
method.

Now that filter() is it's own construct, I can't see any reason why it
couldn't take a list of expressions that were assumed to be AND'ed. Well,
any good reason except that it's also pretty easy,  -- and arguably more
readable -- to just chain multiple .filter() calls using the generative
style:

    .filter(and-expr-1).filter(and-expr-2)