see some notes at
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/DatabaseNotes

also check dbcook.usage.sa_engine_defs.py at
(svn co)
https://dbcook.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/dbcook/trunk/dbcook/usage/
for some create/drop stuff, both pyodbs/pymssql.

> 3. I'll be piggy backing on an existing ERP system and I'm trying
> to decide what would be the best way to store new tables
> - in the DB used by the ERP system
> - in a new DB on the same MSSQL server
> - in a SQLite DB

sqlite db will be cheapest and fastest (in the means of rapid
develpment), but might not support all magic u want, e.g. sequences
etc. i'll say go initialy for sqlite, dont rely on specific mssql
features, and timely try things on mssql to prevent surprises. Then
once u have 70+% there, specialize if need be.

> How easy does SA make it to use data from multiple DBs?
transparent enough for an antisqler like me.
see copyall.py at
https://dbcook.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/dbcook/trunk/dbcook/misc/metadata/

have fun
svil