Hi,

i checked pyodbc on linux and mssql several weeks ago.
i succeeded to connect after i create a DSN and checked that the
connection worked with DataManager (comes from unixodbc-bin package on
Ubuntu). Another thing that you must check is on windows side to open
the port of mssql to pass trough firewall. If you cant connect with
DataManager try simple

~$ telnet ip_address_of_mssql_server port

command. when you are manage to connect by DataManager then check
sqlalchemy connection - i succeeded with:

import pyodbc
db_mssql = create_engine( 'mssql://username:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/?
use_scope_identity=1', module= pyodbc)

> I'm afraid though that I still don't understand how to correctly setup
> the connection. Slow learner I guess.
>
> DatabaseNotes gives the following example:
> db = create_engine('mssql://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]', module=pymssql)
>
> but that doesn't help me much since it's not clear what goes in the place of
> db.
>
> Am I supposed to create a system/file DSN under Windows with the ODBC
> Data Source Administrator? If username and password are in the DSN do
> they need to be in the url?

u and p must be in the url

hope this helps
regards,