On Sep 18, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Barry Hart wrote:

> Sounds great - knowing that the query will work is a big help.
>
> We are currently working around the absence of an
> 'omit_from_results' flag, so I know that's do-able. Here are a
> couple of reasons I think it's a good idea, though:
> We often have functions that build a whole 'family' of queries,
> filtering or sorting by different fields based on the arguments
> passed. Thus, some of these queries will return tuples and some
> will return objects. Since the result type returned by the query is
> unpredictable, the function is not very friendly to use.
why would you be calling "add_column()" in this case (besides the PG
bug workaround) ?

> The consumer of the query is often framework code which we don't
> control. For example, TurboGears has a paginate decorator which
> automatically slices the query to return a particular subset of
> results. It uses the slice operator ( q[offset:endpoint] ). Does
> the slice operator eventually call the instances() function?

slice calls instances() yes.

the point here is that add_column() is used for a very specific
thing; youd like that column in your returned results.  it doesnt
need to fulfill any other function beyond that (including SQL
massaging required by postgres when used with distinct/order
by...that massaging should happen automatically, hence the ticket).