> Next design problem for me is version table. I have Document model
> with DocumentVersion model, but i dont know how to:
>
> - get the latest version of document
> - set creator and updator, automatic behavior for this
> - update version number
> - fetch thru Document(s) and DocumentVersion(s)

just to warn you, if u're trying to have a versioned document, i.e.
document with history of changes/versions, and track them in time,
that's a rather complicated thing. see bitemporal mixin recipe in
dbcook:
https://dbcook.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/dbcook/trunk/dbcook/misc/timed2/

if u don't realy care about the history, but only need the last one,
that might be easier, YMMV.

automatic setup of fields in an object, e.g. in your case
creator/modifier of document, might be done at several places/times:
 - object's constructor
 - just before saving the object to DB - mapperEextension.befor_insert
and friends
 - maybe other places to hook between these two
but u'll need a context-like state to keep track of the current user
(or time or whatever).
or, u can do it by hand somewhere at proper place within your
workflow, around saving the object. Beware that either way it must be
done in a way that does not change/affect objects which have not been
really modified - else all objects will be always saved/updated, over
and over.