On Nov 3, 2007 12:01 PM, Paul Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Florent,
>
> >I just added ticket #839 to the trac and attached a patch that enables
> >unicode conversion for MSSQL dialects.
> >I tested it with pyodbc but it should work the same with the other dialects.
> >

> What's the benefit of doing this? I've found that you usually want to
> pass python unicode objects to PyODBC and adodbapi; utf-8 encoded
> strings don't work properly (they end up as literally that - utf-8 byte
> strings, stored in a 16-bit string container).

I have 10 different instances the each have their own collation names
(latin1, greek, russian...) I have a master database that references
all thos instances + their collation names. I use this master database
to create the engines to the different dbs. I would like to be able to
just pass the encoding for each engine at creation time an forget
about it.

Then when I do my requests, whatever the encoding I am assured to only
manipulate unicode objects and thus to be able to encode everything to
unicode in the final database (postgresql). I don't want to have to
handle the encoding of each object just to perform a decode on it
before re-encoding it to utf8.

In my use case I am doing read-only queries only on mssql so I have
not concerned myself too much with the writting back to the db. I
suppose that if I did so I would like to encode my unicode objects
back to the right encoding before passing them to my queries...

But in all the cases my encoding/decoding is always on the borders of
my program and I can always count on the fact that all my "strings"
are unicode objects everywhere.

Florent.