Hi,

>I have isolated the problem a little bit more: my column is defined in
>the MSSQL server as a user defined type which is based on VARCHAR.

Ok, so in this case you'd like SA to return a python unicode object when
a VARCHAR is fetched, by decoding using the database's encoding? While I
understand your requirement, this seems to me to be a special case. I
think most people would expect a normal string in this case. I wonder if
you should define a MyString class in your app and use that.

Rick - do you have a feel on this one?

If we do decide to implement this, does anyone know how python can find
out what database encoding MSSQL is using?

Paul