indeed its extremely difficult to reproduce this one, and while it was
pretty clear what caused it i found it impossible to work up a simpler
set of tables that could create all the conditions necessary to
produce an invalid query...in any case the offending code was some
stuff that wasnt even needed so its removed in r3746.