On Nov 11, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Jorge Godoy wrote:

>> One other possibility is to code the default inside a database
>> trigger.
>
> But then you can't say that you have a NOT NULL column because if
> you omit
> the value then you'll get an SQL error...  (While you can say, for
> example, "INSERT INTO table (column) VALUES (DEFAULT)" to get the
> default
> value.)

im fairly certain triggers used to generate INSERT values are
compatible with NOT NULL columns.  although in this particular thread
I dont think I understand the issue exactly, it seemed like it was
just asking for some Python function to be executed external to the
database value itself; in which case the solution is to use a custom
TypeEngine or TypeDecorator class.