Hi Rick,
> I use a similar technique with a Pylons controller, but instead of
> engine.begin(), I use session.begin(). Then by passing around the
> session for all calls made by that controller,
I had so much legacy SA code, that I just couldn't easily retrofit this
pattern throughout the code, but thanks for the tip.
> I can use Session.execute() for expression-based and text-based SQL
> mixed with ORM ops, and it all commits in one shot on one thread
> without using threadlocal. This allows the freedom to open another
> session in a separate transaction for those odd places where it's
> needed, and have arbitrary expression-based SQL execute in that other
> transaction -- something I don't think
> you'll be able to do with threadlocal + implicit execution.
I was hoping that I could create a another session using another engine
(non threadlocal), for these special cases. I have not yet run into this
need yet. Just out of interest, have you run into any such use cases ?

Thanks

Huy