On Dec 9, 2007, at 12:31 PM, Artur Siekielski wrote:

> Hi again.
> Thanks for hints on using "instances" method. But is there any method
> to get Query object representing query result?
>
> I have spent more time on my problem. It's important for me if I can
> use Query object as a proxy to instances fetched from DB, or if I must
> fall back to raw list. Almost working solution (I'm using PostgreSQL)
> is that:
>
> q =
> dbSession
> .query(DomainClass).select_from(compoundSelect.alias('myalias'))
>
> The problem is visible here:
> SELECT <all columns of DomainClassTable>
> FROM DomainClassTable, <compoundSelect contents>
>
> The problem is that "DomainClassTable" is always added to FROM clause,
> even if I throw it away by hand from q._from_obj list...

hey there -

sure, its in the ORM tutorial, and i just fixed that it had no
docstring in the pydoc in r3901, and its called from_statement().
select_from() is for adding additional FROM clauses to the generated
query.  from_statement() is used to entirely replace the compiled
statement with that of your own, i.e.
dbSession.query(DomainClass).from_statement(myselect).  this is the
equivalent to query(DomainClass).instances(myselect.execute()).