On Dec 9, 2007, at 2:31 PM, Artur Siekielski wrote:

> I'm writing DAO module for db access which must be independent of rest
> of the system. I'm looking for a class which can be used as a proxy
> for SQL results. Query would be good, if it would be possible to have
> fully functional Query instance representing any SQL statement. But I
> cannot tell users - here you have a Query object, but filtering
> sometimes doesn't work! So it seems that if I want to have object-
> oriented proxy for SQL results with lazy loading, I must write my own
> wrapper.

OK, ive got the initial implementation for this in r3904.  whatever
you put into query.select_from(), thats what its going to select
from.   all the fun starts when you start filter()ing and join()ing.
select_from() also needs to be called before you set up any joins or
criterions; it will issue a warning if you do otherwise.   it still
needs some work, its not applied yet to count(), edge cases like
group_by()/ having() dont work yet either (ticket 898 is a reminder).

we will probably look into moving away from from_statement() and into
select_from() since it now handles a superset of use cases.