On Dec 18, 2007, at 12:57 AM, Esceo wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> What I am in fact doing is undefer all fields, eagerload all relations
> (and undefer the corresponding fields) for a corresponding model.
> (ended up being 9xx options altogether)
>
> And yes, I am on 0.3.11 (and probably is unable to move onto a 0.4  as
> I am relying on an old and custom version of elixir and some custom
> sqlalchemy fixes),
>

> I guess the question is whether it is possible (easy) to rip the
> benefit of those improvements by merging the 0.4 code into my current
> 0.3.11?

no, 0.4 is almost a total rewrite of 0.3's internals.    Of course its
"possible" since its been done, but then youd just be left with...
0.4!  Which you can just download.  I'm not sure how extensive your
elixir/SA hacks are but the Elixir project has also been improving and
updating, so if your application is reasonable you should be able to
upgrade and do away with the hacks.   And if youve fixed SQLAlchemy
bugs I would certainiy hope that you've posted trac tickets so they've
been fixed here as well.   This is all "release early, release often"
open source software, all in relatively low version numbers, so coding
to a private fork is not generally not a good idea.

If 9xx means...."900", im not exactly sure what you hope to accomplish
there....eagerloads shouldnt be used across more than half a dozen
tables or so, else the efficiency of the database's optimizer, not to
mention the enormous explosion of rows youd get back, will grind any
system to a halt.  So a number of like 10 eagerloading attributes is
already counterproductive.    For a number in the hundreds I'd think
your system would run out of RAM just trying to generate the query,
not to mention passing it to the database's query parser, so that
sounds a little strange.