Two issues:
 a) You need to give SA a table definition for the table you're trying to
update.
 b) You need to specify the name of the column to update in the dict(), not
the string 'key'

I've updated the script to work by passing in both the column name to update
and the update value to use. I've made my changes in bold below:

def main(*key, val*):
   engine = create_engine('mssql://dbName:[EMAIL PROTECTED]') * # No table name
in
URI !! /%s' % tblName)*
   conn = engine.connect()

  # create MetaData
   meta = MetaData()

  # bind to an engine
   meta.bind = engine
*
  # specify table definition
  tbl = Table('tbl_Acct_prefs', meta,
        Column('netname', VARCHAR(20)),
        Column('pref_name', VARCHAR(40)),
        Column('pref_value', VARCHAR(40))
        )*

  # create metadata
   *#* meta.create_all()     * # <=== you need this only if you're creating
the table with your program*

  tbl.update(tbl.c.netname=='saw').execute(*{key:val}*)