Rick,

On Jan 15, 1:34 pm, "Rick Morrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Two issues:
>  a) You need to give SA a table definition for the table you're trying to
> update.
>  b) You need to specify the name of the column to update in the dict(), not
> the string 'key'
>
> I've updated the script to work by passing in both the column name to update
> and the update value to use. I've made my changes in bold below:
>
> def main(*key, val*):
>    engine = create_engine('mssql://dbName:[EMAIL PROTECTED]') * # No table
> name in
> URI !! /%s' % tblName)*

I actually had this right in my code, but I posted it incorrectly when
sanitizing it for the newsgroup.

>    conn = engine.connect()
>
>   # create MetaData
>    meta = MetaData()
>
>   # bind to an engine
>    meta.bind = engine
> *
>   # specify table definition
>   tbl = Table('tbl_Acct_prefs', meta,
>         Column('netname', VARCHAR(20)),
>         Column('pref_name', VARCHAR(40)),
>         Column('pref_value', VARCHAR(40))
>         )*
>
>   # create metadata
>    *#* meta.create_all()     * # <=== you need this only if you're creating
> the table with your program*

I was following the docs on the website for this one...I guess I
misunderstood since their example was using a sqlite database in
memory. Oh well...

>   tbl.update(tbl.c.netname=='saw').execute(*{key:val}*)

This worked. Thank you for your patience and for sharing your
knowledge.

Mike