I still have no answer as to what this might be, but I am starting to see it
more often.

It's now biting me a bit harder as it's beginning to happen on items that I
cache on startup and then .expunge(). When I later go to access a relation
on the expunged item, the trigger of the lazy loader fails. Looks like it
may be becoming a bad idea to rely on eager fetches....