On Apr 4, 2008, at 4:09 PM, Rick Morrison wrote:

> I can see "explicit only" in the select() construct, because two
> database rows can have a lot of potential join points between them,
> and sqla shouldn't try to guess.
> But the situation with mapped objects is a bit different, as the
> joinpoints have already been explicitly enumerated by the author of
> the extant mappers in place.

the joinpoint between A and B is not impicit, there could be many ways
to join from A to B.  We had this guessing going on in 0.3's
filter_by() and its been removed.

> One of the big benefits of Query() + eagerload() and it's friends is
> the abillity to capture and reuse that relational information. Right
> now, it seems clumsier than it ought to be to join two mapped
> instances together.

what, query(A).join('foos') ?   if that's "clumsy", thats a different
issue.

> There is a raft of duct tape like "add_column()", and "add_entity".
> The basic functionality is there, but the interface is kind of clunky.

well, values(A.id, B.id, C, D), it can all go in there eventually.