On Mon, 2008-14-04 at 13:46 -0700, John Sutherland wrote:
> Hi everyone.

I'm no expert on SA, but I can answer a wee bit!

> So, onto what we need:
>
> 1. Be able to call custom functions when a field is updated, sometimes
> filling other fields in the table. -- I believe this can be done with
> properties in the model. So i don't think is much of an issue..

Yes, this works great and I do that all the time the time.

> 4. In the object model, hook into the object create, load, write/
> update, and delete.. We've implemented an ACL type access on our
> objects, and would need to verify these ACLs for each action that
> touches the DB/..

Yup, no problem there again. You can dial into the mapped objects from
pretty much anywhere. I'm using a central model in an app that fires
listeners and monitors updates and it's working great too.

The others are over my head! But from my experience so far, I would
strongly recommend SA over a home-brewed solution. LOTS of cutting edge
python projects are adopting SA, the community is growing fast, the docs
are fantastic for a beta project, and the authors are very helpful even
when your questions are stupid.

Iain