On Apr 16, 2008, at 6:21 PM, David Harrison wrote:

> If I use "delete, delete-orphan" I get the same errors

Like I mentioned, "delete-orphan" doesn't work very well separated
from "delete" cascade - which means that its only appropriate for a
one-to-many or one-to-one relation.   When many "Friendship" rows
reference the same "Dog" row, the deletion of any "Friendship" row
cascades to the "Dog" row (since delete cascade is implied by delete-
orphan cascade) and the constraint fails.

"delete-orphan" was never designed to track many parents, its just a
convenience feature for the typical "owned by one parent" use case.