On Apr 16, 7:24 am, Michael Bayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> always use "delete" cascade in conjunction with "delete-orphan".   It
> doesnt make much sense to have delete-orphan only and not "delete"
> cascade.

Oh wow.  That clears up a few things for me.  I don't remember ever
seeing this (or at least I don't remember taking this sense of things
away after reading) in the documentation.  Maybe I developed a blind
spot back around 3.something and never got past it?  I have simply
been avoiding delete-orphan although I looked forward to figuring out
how to use it without errors some day.  I think this was the key fact
that I missed, even though as you pointed out it's kind of the only
way that makes sense.