On Apr 27, 2008, at 8:25 AM, Allen Bierbaum wrote:

> The problem that as I understand it, to use declarative, you can't
> import an module that defines a table-based object until after some
> initialization code has been run to connect to a database and create a
> 'Base' class for the declarative layer.

This is not true; the declarative extension serves as a holding zone
for a MetaData object; like the MetaData object, it requires no
association to any database engine at any time.   The initial example
in the declarative docunentation, which I am going to change right
now, illustrates the engine being associated with the underlying
MetaData as just as an example.    The only time a databse connection
is needed is when you are ready to query the database.   You can
create your Session and bind it to a newly created engine right before
the first query is issued, if you like.