So, if I understand this right, I could import a "base" module that
does a lazy creation of the Base class with a metadata object and then
just use that base class everywhere I need it for the declarative
class definitions.  Then at a later time (before I use the mapped
classes), I could go and "bind" the metadata for the Base class to an
engine for use.

Correct?  (I apologize if I used the terms incorrectly).

If this is true, then I think I see how I can solve my problem.

-Allen