On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:23:41 -0700 (PDT)
bukzor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks! That works, but is the line I quoted just wrong or outdated or
> what?
> This is what I'm talking about, under "def join()"
> http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/04/sqlalchemy_orm_query.html#docstrings_sqlalchemy.orm.query_Query

Fascinating. You're right, although I personally never knew it was
supposed to allow that syntax; I've never used it.

That exception is coming from the mapper code, which I'm not intimately
familiar with, but the answer to your question would probably lie in
the particulars of your mapper setup.

In any case, in my experience the string form will always work, all
other things being correct.

> By the way, is 0.4 the recommended version to use for a new project?

I'm not a core dev, but it seems like 0.5 final release is beginning to
shape up, so if you're just starting your project I'd imagine the
general consensus would be to go with 0.5, unless you need Python 2.3
support, which is slated to be dropped. Judging by the traffic on the
list of late, 0.4 (while it's quite usable and still being maintained)
has a couple fairly obscure "won't fix" type issues, and if you run into
any of them you'll probably be advised to upgrade to 0.5 anyway :)

As well, 0.5's a good bit faster, several non-intuitive "legacy"
behaviors have been removed, and many polymorphism improvements. A
number of namespace and method names are changed, which might make
migrating after the fact nontrivial. [1] lists most of the big
differences in 0.5. For what it's worth, the beta seems quite stable to
me.

-Kyle

  [1] http://sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/05Migration