As far as I know SqlAlchemy does not use LAST_INSERT_ID() (at least
not for single row inserts),
At the mysql protocol level, the id created for the auto inc column
will
be returned for each insert statement (as the result code for that
command).
The python MySQLdb dbapi driver will make this available trough the
property 'lastrowid' on the cursor object.
I guess this is wat SA uses. Because the id is returned on the same
statement
the connection pool will not be a problem.