On Jul 16, 2008, at 1:32 AM, Fotinakis wrote:

> Hello SQLAlchemists,
>
> What is (or what do you think is) the load that SQLAlchemy can handle
> with the default engine options of pool_size=5 and max_overflow=10?
> The application I'm working on has the potential for bursts of
> thousands of requests in a few seconds, so I am concerned about load.

the biggest issue on your mind then should be how many concurrent
requests your system would be expected to handle.  The connection pool
generally needs to be sized according to this.

> Is it appropriate to increase these values to some arbitrary number? I
> see that you can set max_overflow to -1 so that it creates as many
> connections as needed, but do you think that would be necessary (or
> bad practice)?

-1 is probably not a great idea since the database itself has a max
number of connections configured, not to mention your app server has
only a finite amount of memory in which to handle connections.   you'd
want to do some memory analysis and see how much memory a single
connection takes up.