I have a many-to-many relationship between 'Company' and 'Index',
defined in an association table (CompanyIndex). Schemas below:

Company:         (companyID, companyName, ...)
Index:               (indexID, indexName)
CompanyIndex: (companyID, indexID, eventDate, eventType)

Would like to provide a function on company to return index membership
given a date i.e. company.indices(date) ==> index collection
Would further like the collection (returned by the company.indices
method) to create an entry in the association table on del or append
of an index object.
This would of course require the collection to be aware of existing
indices, and not write a row for existing relationship (i think there
is a pattern for this on the wiki).

Am I biting of more than sa can chew? Should I implement this in some
other, more app-specific way?

Thanks in advance,

Rob C