On Aug 28, 2008, at 10:54 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

>> On the Query side, the basic job is to formulate joins to the parent,
>
> Would it no be better to the child? Otherwise you need to traverse all
> records, which would be inefficient -I think- when for example only 1%
> of the records are in the group. Or am I overlooking something?

its all joins between X and Y so at that level its the same thing.
The optimizations you'd be looking for here would involve additional
tables that store information such as a full path for each node, or a
materialized path view of some kind (or even, nested sets, something I
should eventually create an ORM example for since it's tricky).