Hi,

Here's what I'm doing. I have a timesheet application written in
wxPython. It works, but I think it would work better if I changed the
database calls into SA calls. There are 3 databases. I created one and
the other two are pre-existing. The one I created is the one I store
all the user entered data into. I read from the official accounting
database and I read from a couple of views in the third database. The
two databases I read from are for checking purposes to make sure that
I am doing the calculations correctly in my program and also for
authentication and certain bits of user data, such as employee number,
name and such.

Anyway, I dumped the close calls I had and put them in the OnExit
method, which is something I've never used before. I'm not sure that I
have that set up right, but at this point it doesn't matter. I am
still receiving the same error.

If I take all of my SA setup out of the wxPython code and stick it in
my own module, it works. Here's what that looks like:

<code>

import ts_info
from db_tables import Acct_Prefs, TimeEntries
from sqlalchemy import Table
from sqlalchemy.orm import mapper, sessionmaker

# Connect to the database
print 'connecting to MCISAccounting DB...'
conn, engine, meta = ts_info.setupDB('acct')

# Load the tables
print 'loading tables...'
entry_table = Table('tbl_TimeEntries', meta, autoload=True)
prefs_table = Table('tbl_Acct_Prefs', meta, autoload=True)

# Map the tables
print 'mapping tables...'
mapper(TimeEntries, entry_table)
mapper(Acct_Prefs, prefs_table)

# Create a session object
print 'creating session...'
Session = sessionmaker(bind=engine)
session = Session()

pref = self.session.query(Acct_Prefs).filter_by(empID=self.emp_id,
pref_name='last_payPeriod').first()
pref.pref_value = SomeValue
self.session.commit()

</code>

For some weird reason, if I do those last three lines in one of my
wxPython methods, I get an error. I know it has to be something really
stupid, but I'm just not seeing it...

Mike