Hi,

I'm using joined table inheritance much like the example given here:
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/mappers.html#advdatamapping_mapper_inheritance_joined

Additionally, in the employees table, I would like an update_timestamp
column of type DateTime:

Column('update_timestamp', DateTime, onupdate=datetime.datetime.now())

The rational is so I could keep track of when any employees info is
changed, be it a manager or engineer.

However, this field is not being updated when an engineer or manager
is updated. I'm pretty sure I understand why: The employee table is
not being updated.

I was just wondering if there was an easy way to get around this issue
without using MapperExtensions. Previously I was using
MapperExtensions and overriding the before_update method which works
since it looks for updates in the entire instance, not just that
table. This way works fine, but I like the cleanness of not needing
MapperExtensions.

Thanks!

Sam