On Monday 08 September 2008 18:45:17 jason kirtland wrote:
> alex bodnaru wrote:
> > hello friends,
> >
> > i wanted to do a few sql commands in a ddl construct, but i
> > failed with:
> >
> > pysqlite2:dbapi2 warning: you can execute one statement at a time
> >
> > i'm not very familiar with python db layer, but i know sqlite may
> > be invoked specifically to execute one, or many statements
> > divided by ';', so i suspect it's specifically invoked for one
> > statement.
> >
> > while this is a good security measure for sql from untrusted
> > sources, like user input, it's quite annoying for a situation
> > where free sql should be specifically
> > added.
> >
> > as for my case, i had a batch of inserts based on an external
> > file, and i couldn't
> > invoke ddl.execute_at in a loop, so i had to switch to inserting
> > a batch of unioned
> > selects in one insert, which was nice to learn :).
>
> The use case behind the DDL() construct is a single statement.  You
> can fire multiple statements by using multiple DDL()s.  But for
> inserts, I've found it more useful to write a 'after-create' event
> listener from scratch.  Here's one that I use in pretty much every
> project, in some form or another:
>
>    def fixture(table, column_names, *rows):
>        """Insert data into table after creation."""
>        def onload(event, schema_item, connection):
>            insert = table.insert()
>            connection.execute(
>                insert,
>                [dict(zip(column_names, column_values))
>                 for column_values in rows])
>        table.append_ddl_listener('after-create', onload)
>
> Looks like this in use:
>
>    fixture(some_table,
>            ('x', 'y'),
>            (1, 2),
>            (3, 4),
>            (5, 6))

hmm.. interesting. how would u do an initial insert of batch of
objects (orm-mapped to whatever entangled bunch of tables)? any
possible optimization?
for obj in objfactory(somedicts): sess.save(obj); sess.flush()
isn't very fast thing...
any needed gymnastics with the objects is possible (grouping by type
or whatever)