> ah.   right, the parameter argument of execute() does not handle SQL
> expressions as values - the keys are used to generate a corresponding
> list of bind parameter clauses.   Earlier versions of SQLA were more
> liberal in this regard but the current behavior was based around
> simplifying and improving the performance of the execute/compile
> chain.   I usually use the values() method for the VALUES clause -
> table.update().where(whereclause).values(key=value, key=value).

Thanks for the replies!  -- I like the method you propose (values
clause), much clearer to me.  Is that documented?  In general I do
find that there are often many ways to do the same thing in SQLAlchemy
and it's not immediately clear from reading the docs (though when you
start seeing variety in the examples it does help).   As I spend more
time with the tool (and figure some of these things out through trial/
error and list responses), I'd be happy to help fill in some of the
sparse areas of the documentation.  Is there a standard procedure for
submitting documentation patches?

Thanks,
Hans